1. have you tried turning it off and on again? (try it. seriously.)
2. try changing your browser. if you’re using safari, use chrome, or the other way around.
3. check if your microphone/speakers work. (Mac: go to System Preferences -> Sound, then click on INPUT and OUTPUT to check if the right sources are connected. INPUT: Your microphone should show up here. Select it and make some sound. The bar below should indicate that your computer hears you)
4. check if you allowed your browser to use your microphone/camera. (go to system settings -> Security & Privacy, then click on Microphone/Camera and use the checkbox next to the name of your browser. This might not work for older versions of MacOs)
5. It might be your internet connection. (Check here to find out your internet speed: www.fast.com you should get around 3 to 5 Mbps consistently UP and DOWN. click on „show more info" to see your upload speed.)
- Move closer to the router, or place the router in a way so that it is not blocked by anything in front of it. This might improve signal.
- If at all possible, plug directly into the router with an ethernet cable.
- tell your flatmates to postpone bingewatching netflix for an hour or two.
6. try updating your browser.
7. it might be your hardware. if your computer is really old or has a lot of other tasks running in the background, it might not be able to do all the processing necessary to encode/decode the video in realtime.
- try closing all other programs, tabs etc.
- clean up your harddrive. there should at least be 20% free space, otherwise the system will start to run slow. the more free space, the better.
- if you have a really old operating system installed, consider updating it to a newer version.
8. if you don’t have a computer at all, or your computer is too old or doesn’t have a microphone:
- you can try to use your smartphone. if it’s not too old it should work.
- let us know. we might be able to help out.
9. It might not be your fault at all!
- it could be that the servers hosting our conference are just too slow. Have patience!